ARE YOU AT RISK FOR BLOOD CLOTS?
Yesterday, I wrote a blog on the dangers of blood clots and what good hospitals are doing to reduce the risk of death for surgical patients who encounter blood clots. Today, I provide a list of factors which may place a surgical patient at risk for developing blood clots. The risks include:
1. Recent elective hip or knee replacement surgery
2. Family history of blood clotting disorders.
3. Recent major surgery (lasting more than 45 minutes).
4. Recent laparoscopic surgery (lasting more than 45 minutest).
5. Age 41 – 60.
6. Varicose veins.
7. Recently confined to bed rest for more than 72 hours.
8. Pregnant or delivered a baby in the last month.
My Take: You better have a discussion about your risk of developing blood clots with your doctor if any of these factors are present.