USA Today Names Worst Nursing Homes in Virginia
Last week, USA Today listed the worst nursing homes in the country.
As many long-term care advocates already know, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) now ranks nursing homes based on a 1-star to 5-star federal government rating, using data obtained from state agencies.
The lowest rated facilities are “much below average” when compared to other nursing homes in areas including annual inspections, quality measures, and staff time spent with residents. The article highlighted the facilities that ranked among the worst performers in the annual survey.
The article names 17 facilities in Virginia among the worst nursing homes.
According to USA Today, the following are the worst nursing homes in Virginia:
- Potomac Center, Genesis Healthcare (Arlington, Virginia)
- Culpeper Health & Rehabilitation Center (Culpeper, Virginia)
- Greensville Manor LLC (Emporia, Virginia)
- Manorcare Health Services-Fair Oaks (Fairfax, Virginia)
- Avante At Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Virginia)
- Lynchburg Hlth & Rehab Cntr (Lynchburg, Virginia)
- Consulate Health Care of Norfolk (Norfolk, Virginia)
- Manorcare Health Services-Stratford Hall
- The Laurels of University Park
- Envoy of Stratford Hills
- Envoy of Westover Hills
- South Boston Manor (South Boston, Virginia)
- Evergreene Nursing Care Center (Stanardsville, Virginia)
- Kings Daughters Community Health & Rehab (Staunton, Virginia)
- Beacon Shores Nursing & Rehabilitation (Virginia Beach, Virginia)
- Evergreen Health and Rehab (Winchester, Virginia)
So what makes a poor nursing home?
First, you will notice that the article lists mostly “for profit” facilities. Each and every one of the above facilities is a “for-profit” corporation or a “for-profit” partnership.
Historically, nursing homes were non-profit, charitable organizations dedicated to the well-being of geriatric care.
Now, the pursuit of profits leads to under-staffing, poorly trained nurses and aides, high staff turnover rate, poor nutrition and dietary department, and an ownership that is more interested in profits than people.
My Advice: Do you homework before placing a loved one in any nursing home or long term care facility.