END OF SUMMER READING ON NON-COMPETE CONTRACTS
We have seen a few trends in the world of non-compete litigation / review.
The following trends are true in our office (please note, I am not stating the following trends are true everywhere else since thankfully I only work here):
- Most of the people who call us to have their non-compete reviewed so they can decide the next step, do so the last week of the month.
- Most of the people who call us to discuss whether their agreements are enforceable, do so at the last minute (like the day they have resigned etc.)
- Most people who call us to discuss whether they are bound by the terms of an agreement, have read our blog and are still unsure as to whether or not they may need to alter their future business plans.
- Most people who start their own business to compete, do so in late summer early fall – which means if they are going to get sued, it will be in early fall.
Well – here we are, looking at late summer, and I wanted to provide the following advice.
1. READ OUR BOOK – and call Mary Ann or email her today to order your free copy: 1-866-985-0098 or email@example.com. This will provide a good background and some useful information about what you can and cannot do (legally speaking) under Virginia law.
2. Please don’t start a new business, apply for jobs or plan to quit until you know whether your contracts are binding, reasonable, etc.
3. Please don’t all wait until the last week of the month to hire an attorney. Well, ok. I know you will ignore this advise but it was worth a shot, right?