WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS IN VIRGINIA IN 2010?
Let’s see if you are ready.
ARE YOU CURRENTLY BOUND BY AN EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT?
1. Yes, I am currently bound by an employment agreement;
2. No, I have never signed an employment agreement;
3. I may have signed an agreement but don’t recall or have a copy;
4. It doesn’t matter because employment agreements and non-competes are not binding in Virginia anyway.
HOW DID YOU PLAN YOUR NEW BUSINESS?
1. Yes I have been planning and telling my current clients about it for months;
2. No, I will do that when I have quit my current job;
3. Business is up and running and I have already started recruiting employees;
4. YES, I took my old employer’s bid sheets, etc. – and put my new logo on them so we are ready to go.
HAVE YOU SAVED FOR LITIGATION?
1. No way – don’t plan on being sued;
2. I always have savings in case of an emergency;
3. No need because non-competes are not binding in Virginia;
4. I will won’t get in trouble because I created a dummy corporation so I personally am not competing.
If you answered 1, 3 or 4 to any of the above questions – you will likely need an employment lawyer in 2010. Sorry to share the bad news, but you will need more than just planning help when it comes to your new business – how about some help learning your rights and liabilities?
Do you know what Virginia Trade Secret Act is? Tortuous Interference with Contract ring a bell?
Frith Law Firm can assist you with a proper exit from your current position, and help you plan for the next move. The goal, avoid spending your savings on employment litigation and continue to earn a living for your family.
Let us know if we can help.