How to File a Complaint Against a Nursing Home
Are you concerned that your loved one did not receive the care he or she deserved at a Virginia nursing home?
If you were to call my office, I would give you the following advice:
1. Ask to meet with the DON or Administrator to discuss the incident. You can file a complaint with the facility, keep a copy and KEEP IT PROFESSIONAL. Do not threaten a lawsuit or act like a jerk. These are not helpful methods of communication or problem solving.
2. Keep a copy of any written communication regarding the problem.
3. Move your loved one. Yes, you read that correctly. If someone has messed up, don’t give them a second chance to mess up again.
4. Once your loved one is out – call the Virginia Dept. of Health and file a complaint. They can be reached at 1-800-955-1819. The Dept. of Health will undergo an investigation free of charge and report back. No, you will not be entitled to anything but the knowledge that the facility may be held accountable to their licensing agency for their mistakes.
5. Call our office. If your loved one has suffered permanent or serious injury as a result of the nursing home’s negligence, we will review the medical records right away. CALL SOON because you only have 60 days under Virginia law to revoke an arbitration agreement signed in the facility admission contract.
Don’t wait and see what happens – be proactive. Call us today at 1-866-985-0098.