IS YOUR HOUSE KILLING YOU?
For most people, home is a haven and a refuge from the rest of the world. However, your home can also be the most dangerous place you go. I’m talking about lead, mostly lead dust, from the paint on your pre-1978 house’s walls and windows.
Lead-based paint was banned in 1978 by the Consumer Product Safety Commission for use in homes, children’s toys and furniture. However, it still exists in many older homes. Lead poisoning is particularly dangerous for children younger than six and pregnant women; lead can build up inside a young child’s body and harm their developing brains.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development suggests that flat surfaces, such as windowsills, in older homes be wiped down often with a damp paper towel to remove lead dust. Smooth floors should be damp-mopped weekly, and carpets and upholstery should be vacuumed to control dust.