NURSING HOME FACTS: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY (OR AT LEAST, SCARY)!
Want to know some interesting facts about the nursing home industry? How about these?
- – 16,995 nursing home facilities
- – 52 percent of these are owned by a chain, with multiple facilities owned by one company
- – 107 beds is the average size of a nursing home
- – 83 percent is the average occupancy rate
- – 66 percent of nursing homes are owned by “for-profit” companies
- – 27 percent of nursing homes are “non-profit”
- – 7 percent of nursing homes are owned by state or local government
- – The average facility has 35 nurse assistants, 11 practical nurses, and 6 registered nurses
What about the residents themselves?
- – 43 percent of those individuals who turned 65 by 1990 will enter a nursing home sometime in their life
- – 52 percent of all women and 33 percent of all men who are now over 65 will spend their last years in a nursing home
- – About 2/3rd of people in nursing homes have no living relatives
- – Approximately 70% of all nursing home patients are women
These statistics have been compiled from a number of sources including: