Public Citizen, a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., recently issued a report detailing its analysis of medical malpractice claims in the U. S. from 1991 to 2005. The report strongly rebukes what the insurance and medical industries have been telling the public! The medical malpractice crisis does not exist! In part, the report concludes:
· The number of annual medical malpractice payments to victims of medical negligence is down.
· The total value of malpractice payments has been flat since 1991
· There has been an increase in common but preventable medical errors.
· Six percent (6%) of doctors are responsible for fifty-eight percent (58%) of the payments to victims of medical negligence.
· Doctors with numerous malpractice payments experience few, if any consequences.