DRUG OVERDOSE KILLS INFANTS

Three premature infants in Indiana died after being accidentally given and adult-sized dose of blood thinner in a hospital. An adult dose of heparin, a drug routinely given to premature babies, was given to the premature infants. They were given the drug, often used to prevent blood clots which could clog intravenous tubes, after a pharmacy technician accidentally stored adult doses in the neonatal unit’s drug cabinet. Read this developing story.

The hospital offered to pay for family counseling and provide restitution to the families. The hospital will no longer keep certain doses of heparin in inventory. In the future, all newborn and pediatric critical care units at the hospital will require a minimum of two nurses to validate any dose of heparin.

This tragic occurrence was preventable.

Dan Frith

Dan Frith

Dan Frith has over 25 years of experience representing individuals and families in cases of medical malpractice throughout Virginia. He has been named "Best Medical Malpractice Attorney" by Roanoker Magazine and is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. To speak with Dan, contact him by email at dfrith@frithlawfirm.com.