Is that a phrase you have heard? “Elder law” attorney? I often get calls from very nice people who have been told they need an elder law attorney.

They ask – “Lauren, do you do Elder law?”

My response is most often – “well, sort of, what do you need? There are many different kinds of attorneys that serve our elderly population.
(1) Wills and Trusts Attorneys.
(2) Medicaid Attorneys.
(3) Abuse and Neglect Attorneys.

EVERYONE – no matter your age, needs a Will and Power of Attorney. If you cannot afford having a private attorney draft one, call your local legal aid. Many places (including Roanoke) have pro bono programs to draft Wills and other important documents for those who cannot afford it.

So lets assume you are now over 70, and you have ignored my advice as stated above, and realize for the first time you may need to get a will, power of attorney etc.

Ask around – who does a good job. Ask for a Virginia Attorney that does WILLS& TRUSTS. They should offer a package for a Will / POA etc.

Will you need long term care treatment? Can you afford a $6,000 a month private payment? If not – you need to find a MEDICAID ATTORNEY to help your family make plans.

Do you have a long term care contract for a facility, and need help understanding it?
Our office reviews contract – many attorneys can do that for you.

Has a physician or long term care facility, provided substandard care and you have been harmed? That is a NURSING HOME ABUSE / NEGLECT ATTORNEY.

Getting older is not the restful experience pictured on the lemonade commercials. It takes planning, including legal planning.

There are many Virginia attorneys that practice elder law – know what type of attorney you need, and then it will be easier to find the right one.

About the author

Lauren Ellerman

In 2011, Lauren Ellerman was named "Young Lawyer of the Year" by the Roanoke Bar Association for her work in the community. To speak with Lauren about your personal injury case, contact her at

Back to top