A place on the Best Hospitals Honor Roll is reserved for medical centers that demonstrate unusually high expertise across multiple specialties, scoring at or near the top in at least six of 16 specialties. Just 17 of the nearly 5,000 hospitals evaluated for the 2011-12 rankings qualified. The list follows:
1. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
2. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
3. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell, N.Y.
7. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
8. Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
9. Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
10. Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
11. Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
12. UPMC-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
13. University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
14. University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
15. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville
16. Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
17. Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.
I live in Virginia and…unfortunately, not one Virginia hospital made the list.