Well here we go again! Two years ago a Roanoke, Virginia assisted living facility had an outbreak of the group a strep bacterial infection. Several residents died and one lost a leg to a complication from the infection known as necrotizing fasciitis, also known as the “flesh-eating bacteria.” How do I know? My firm represented several of the families in claims against the facility.
Today’s Roanoke Times newspaper reports that a Roanoke area nursing home, Eastwood Assisted Living, owned by the same company which owned the assisted living facility where the GAS outbreak occurred two years ago (Friendship Manor), has suffered an outbreak of this life-threatening bacterial infection. One resident has died from the GAS infection, which is easily treated with antibiotics.
When will these facilities, which care for our elderly and infirm, start providing a professional level of care which will insure residents’ health and safety?
Read the Roanoke Times article here.