Our clients often ask why the opposing lawyers are reviewing each page of their medical records – some of the records are over 10 years old and are not related to the case. Here is what they are looking for:
1. Past medical conditions and symptoms similar to those currently being claimed to have resulted from medical negligence or injury.
2. Abuse or misuse of prescription or over-the-counter medications.
3. Gratuitous comments by your doctors that you have a tendency to exaggerate your medical conditions or problems.
4. Comments from your doctors that you are a malinger.
5. Confidential comments you made to your doctor about your previous medical history (like abortions or sexually transmitted diseases – STD).
6. Previously diagnosed conditions which might explain your current injury.
7. Previously diagnosed conditions which might shorten your life – hey, you were going to die early anyway!
In other words they are looking for DIRT!